The term chicken legs may sound odd to many folks; this is because we are more used to calling them drumsticks. Chicken leg recipes in a crock pot are super easy to make and would wow any day or time. So if you own a crock pot , it’s time to learn how to make chicken legs in a crock pot .
The great thing about making chicken legs in a crock pot is that you don’t need to supervise or babysit it while it cooks. Just throw in your chicken legs and whatever ingredients you want to use, set the crock pot and leave it to work its magic.
We feel that the best way to show you how to make chicken legs in a crock pot is to share a recipe with you.
How To Make Chicken Legs In A Crock Pot – Basic Recipe
Chicken legs (obviously lol)
Some tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce he number of tablespoons would be determined by the quantity of chicken)
Some seasoning or a mix of spices such as cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, onion (all in powder form) (please note that you cannot add these and also the hot sauce. You have to use either the hot sauce or a mix of spices or some already made steak seasoning .
Please note that the essence of all the above ingredients is to infuse flavor into the chicken legs. You can as well just use only a good dose of BBQ Sauce.
Instructions For Preparation And Cooking
- Place the chicken legs in the crock pot . If you don’t want to go through the hassle of cleaning the crock pot, line with a pot liner . This would make cleanup very minimal.
- Place all the other ingredients you want to use in a small bowl and mix them very well.
- Then pour the mixture over the chicken legs.
- Cover the crock pot and set to cook on low for 5 or 6 hours. You can also set the pot on high and cook for 4 hours if you want it faster.
To get crispy chicken legs then go on to the next steps
- Line a baking sheet with foil, remove the chicken legs from the crock pot and place on the line sheet.
- Brush with the sauce generated by the cooked chicken and place in the oven.
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until you get the desired crispiness.
This recipe can be adapted to suit your taste. Leftover can be stored in the fridge in a Ziploc bag or airtight container. Also note that the sauce generated from this chicken meal can be used for rice or other side dishes.
How To Make Chicken Legs In A Crock Pot – A More Advanced Recipe
16 regular size chicken legs
1 and ½ teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Thyme Leaves
½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Large Onion (Thinly chopped)
2 tablespoons ketchup
¼ Cup Brown Sugar
Instructions For Preparation and Cooking
- Place the salt and spices in a small mixing bowl and combine well
- Rub this mixture onto the chicken legs. Ensure that the mixture is distributed evenly into every part of the chicken leg so that it goes deep into the chicken.
- Put the chicken legs into a resealable plastic bag such as a Ziploc bag. Then place it on a baking sheet and put in the fridge overnight.
- On the following day, get your crockpot ready. You can either spray it with non stick cooking spray or line with a pot liner. This step would help make cleanup less stressful.
- Place your chopped onions at the bottom of the pot that you have sprayed or lined. Remember that you’ll chop the onions when you are ready to use it and not the night before.
- Combine the brown sugar, honey or maple syrup or both and the ketchup. Drizzle it over the chicken.
- Cover your pot and cook on low heat for as long as 8 to 12 hours. This timing depends on the model of your pot. Your chicken legs may be done in about 7 to 8 hours. However, ensure that your chicken is up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit when you check it with a probe thermometer.
- Serve with whatever side dish desired or serve alone!
- You can always adapt the hotness of this recipe by adding to or reducing the spices.
- Remember to always remove the skin of the chicken legs. If you use other chicken parts same applies.
- Chicken breast would cook faster than the legs or thighs.
This recipe was adapted from https://www.thespruceeats.com/sticky-crockpot-chicken-drumsticks-recipe-479528
The major thing to bear in mind about making chicken legs in a crockpot is that there are no wrong ingredients.
This budget friendly meal allows you to customize it to the taste of your family per time and it can be served with a wide variety of accompaniments.
Best of all, leftovers can be deboned and used for salads, sandwiches and a lot more; if you can imagine it, you can try it out !
You can also make this recipe in an instant pot but you’ll have to know how to use an instant pot. Click here to read our article on the subject.